Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Presidential Connection

  I'd like to take a moment to discuss something that I personally hold close to my heart.  For several years, I have held a title that fourteen of our President's have also held.  No, they were not all teachers, although several Presidents did stand at the podium with chalk in hand.  Nor were these Presidents all Pennsylvanians.  I proudly refer to all of these Chief Executives as Brother!
  Fourteen Presidents, from Washington to Ford, were Freemasons.  Freemasonry is a fraternity open to all men 21 years and older who value the basic tenets of the Enlightenment.  Ideas from the Enlightenment inspired our Founding Fathers to create this country, and many Founding Fathers did wear the apron as do I. 
  Notably, George Washington was a Mason.  He became a Mason in my former home of Fredericksburg, Virginia and eventually the Grand Master of the Commonwealth of Virginia. 
  Masons believe in supporting the community and honoring our commitments to our country.  Many Masons serve in the military or serve as police officers, fire fighters, teachers, EMTs, government officials, doctors, lawyers, sanitation workers, and so on!  You will find Masons in every walk of life and at every level of social stratification.  However, in spite of any differences, all Masons are Brothers and are devoted to helping a fellow Mason or his family in times of strife.  No reward or recognition is expected or accepted. 
  In closing, you may notice my lapel pin or tie tack, or the Masonic symbols on my vehicle.  I hope this answers your questions and puts to rest some of the myths floating on the Internet!  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me before or after school.  So mote it be!
Bro. George Washington as Freemason
Used with permission from Charity Lodge, No. 190

No comments:

Post a Comment